So
I woke up the other morning and thought to myself, I can't believe how
long I've been lying to people. Family, friends and even random
strangers. Then the thought occurred to me. Why? I have been so consumed
with how others perceive me, that I have convinced myself that I'm
better off lying. How can I try and improve my life if I have spent so
much time ashamed of it? So as of today, I no longer care. If I've lied
to you, it's probably because I felt I couldn't trust you, and for that I
apologize. For those of you who had no idea or I have shrugged off the
subject, that is because I couldn't bring myself to lie to you and to
the people who already know.... thank you for tolerating me.
The
truth is, I was in a two year relationship with another girl. I loved
her. She loved me. It was some of the best times of my life. Ultimately I
made the decision that that particular lifestyle wasn't for me and
that's ok. I believe that each individual has the right to love whoever
they want and make decisions they feel are right. Although I no longer
choose that for myself I would never regret my experience or look down
on anyone who loves freely. I felt by lying to my friends and family, I could keep my feelings at a distance from everyone else and never actually have to face them. I felt I had a double life that people never knew about. Sure, it felt more comforting to not have everyone know my business, but I also missed out on a lot of opportunities to share my story and help others with similar issues. I
felt like I disappointed my family so keeping it a secret was safe for
them as much as it was for me. I was ashamed.... but I'm not anymore
nor do I have a reason to be. I learned more about myself and I have
more respect for the importance of agency. So there it is. Plain and simple. I'm Sarah
Trott. I love men but I've also loved a girl. I am a Mormon. I love my
church. I am human.
I love you just the way you are...
ReplyDeleteI really Appreciate you Sarah Trott. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who feel just like you did or do. I know for me, I am a Mormon. I am gay. It is my lifestyle and it is how I am. :) love is all around. And we should be able to love how we do and not be ashamed of it, hiding and lying like we are bad people.
ReplyDeleteLove you baby girl!!